Thursday, September 27, 2012

What Political Ads do to Me

I am currently sitting in the North Carolina Piedmont, at job training, away from my Fiancé and my home. I'm also far from the place I still seem to tell people I am from. All week, people have asked, what brings you here and where are you from. Every time, I said, "I'm from Ohio."

I am more proud now than I ever was before that I am from a state which is able to correctly predict Presidents so often. The "heart of America" knows what is in the hearts of Americans. I am glad that I was raised in Ohio, where many different opinions helped to shape my thinking process, my moral compass, and my heart. I sincerely hope I never lose the best of what Ohio (MY version/section of Ohio), has instilled in me.

I wanted to say that stuff before I said this next stuff. I'm not sure why. Continue if you wish; be warned, I'm getting political.

I'm not defending Obama. No, I don't think Obama is amazing. A president is a human. Humans are not perfect. They make mistakes, create expectation, and disappoint.

Here goes.

While watching TV, an anti-Obama ad came on. I literally laughed at it.

To set the scene:
A woman is going for a run. She is wearing a fancy-looking jogging suit. She is also pushing a runner stroller. On her run, which I assume is in her neighborhood, she passes many large houses in something that I would say is in between a gated community and housing development. More towards the gated community type.

A woman's voice (I'm assuming it was the runner's, in her head).
She said, "I run to get rid of my worries, like that my husband has been laid off 3 times..." (during Obama administration).

Here in this part of North Carolina, maybe this woman is the image of who is truly struggling with the economic situation. In my experience, however, this person is not the one who's husband has been laid off three times. Also, people with multiple layoffs, will know that those started more than four years ago. Unless that was just my family...

This ad pissed me off. Why?

First, the people who have had that many layoffs, they're not usually the runner type. When these individuals are working, their work is exhausting.

Second, they've never lived in big, overpriced houses that are piled on top of each other so that the neighbors can gloat over who has a better lawn or nicer stone on the front of their houses.

Third, even if this woman was the exception to the rules of what I know of people who have been laid off this much, AIN'T NO WAY that she's taking a screaming baby on a run (the run is meant to clear her head, remember) or would bother spending money on a 'running stroller.'

Why do so many people think Romney can't relate to the average American? Uh, because he can't. Even people on his payroll/his supporters can't accurately portray the face of who is truly and MOST deeply affected by the economic situation. Don't tell me I don't know, because these people are my family, friends, and community members.


UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment