Monday, September 21, 2009

Go, Millenials, go!

“Citizenship was not a political concept. It was the culture of everyday life.” As I read this statement in chapter two of “Citizen Marketers,” I realized why I find the blogosphere so amazing. The blogosphere consists greatly of my generation, and my generation in itself impresses me.

I know that my Millenials are going to change the world, and through social media, we are already starting the transformation. We are taking personal responsibility to reveal truths and to be genuine without any compensation except personal satisfaction. My generation feels happy enough to just do the right thing; we don’t need money or material things for motivation. Our willingness to do right by each other is not political; we are not driven to be honest because someone passed a law that said we had to. Millenials are morally structured. We feel a need to help others because we were raised on “Sesame Street” where everyone is kind and helpful to their neighbors.

The online world has not yet fallen apart because the people who maintain it answer to something more powerful than any structured system or laws. Those involved in social media answer to their own set of morals and social norms. If someone steps out of these norms and violates the blogosphere, he/she is quickly dealt with by other bloggers and contributors. I am ready for my generation to apply our rules and norms in social media to the rest of the world. With the way society is looking right now, I think everyone else needs to be ready or not, here we come.

1 comment:

  1. Alli, you're so right! Go Millennials. Every time we talk about our generation in class, I find myself agreeing with the majority of the characteristics. Here's another interesting look at us: http://www.flypmedia.com/issues/24/#1/1

    ReplyDelete