Monday, September 14, 2009

VMAs 2009

So, shame on me for not watching the MTV Video Music Awards, but, EXTRA shame on Kanye West for being so rude to Taylor Swift. I mean, come on! This is not proper behavior for award shows, or even everyday life for that matter. Sure, maybe West was angry that his favorite didn't win, but there is no excuse for souring someone elses moment of glory. I agree that Beyonce had an amazing video, really I do, but I didn't jump on a stage and express those feelings.

Poor Taylor Swift had one of her happiest moments ruined by the rudeness of West. I am not really a fan of either artist, but in basic human policy, Kanye acted terribly. Even Kanye's apology was terrible. He posted the apology on his blog, but I think a medium similar to the VMAs is more appropriate because really, West owes an honest apology to Swift, not just his blog readers. His blog, according to The New York Times, stated that he felt "like Ben stiller in 'Meet the Parents' when he messed up everything and Robert DiNero asked him to leave." Somehow, I don't think relating to a Ben Stiller movie makes everything okay.

Honestly, all I could think about was the movie Carrie. Prom night, Carrie gets crowned queen but tragically gets blood dumped on her. Then, she freaks out. Ms. Swift gets a VMA, and Kanye ruins the moment, but Taylor has no freakish powers. If she does, Kanye better watch out.

Here are links to the VMA clip and the news article.
(Links are in order)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcjlFrbNims

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/performers-criticize-kayne-west-for-mtv-outburst/

3 comments:

  1. I as well am not a huge fan of either Taylor Swift or Kanye West, but what Kanye did to Taylor was shocking and incredibly rude. He's had his share of other shocking statements, but I think this is one of the worst. I checked out his blog apology on the VMA's website(http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2009/09/14/vma-2009-kanye-west-takes-to-his-blog-to-apologize-to-taylor-swift-for-his-vma-rant/). Quote, "I'm not crazy y'all. I'm just real." It's good that he's himself and to be real, but that doesn't mean he should jump up and say who he felt deserved the award--unacceptable. And yes, the blog apology was not well laid out at all. A genuine apology to Swift is what she deserves. Also, I like how you related this to Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the risk of sounding like a bandwagon fan, I do like Taylor Swift. I think she's very talented and well-versed for a such a young woman, but I've never been much of a Kanye West fan. When he first started getting big, he was OK, but he quickly became one of the most egotistical personalities in entertainment news. He seems obsessed with his own success and money. Congratulations on making it this far, Kanye, but remember when you, like Taylor now, were just busting your butt trying to make it big? How would you have felt if someone had forever stained a defining moment in your career? I applaud Taylor's poise in responding to this situation. Whereas I envision an explosive outburst from Kanye if he were in her shoes, Taylor seems to be taking it in stride. Taylor is, however, somewhat infamous for writing her songs about boys in her life, so maybe Kanye should be cautious (and yes, Kanye is a boy. Hardly a man.). I hope she can turn him into her next top 40 hit.

    ReplyDelete