Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween and Identification

I am thinking to myself about the weekend as it comes to a close, and I realized that I don't want Halloween to be over. When I go to class on the fateful Monday that is upon us, I want to continue seeing people as "construction guy," "Raggedy Anne," "sombrero man," "toast," and "Little Bo Peep and all of her sheep." Real names and identities are just so normal, so mediocre, so easy to forget. When I can identify people as something other than a run-of-the-mill human being, I seem to really remember them. Or, at least, who they were dressed as. I am sure that in all of the festivities of Halloween weekend, someone identified me as "Lifeguard girl," and I am perfectly okay with that.

Actually, people trying to get my attention who do not know me did call me lifeguard, and I did the same to others who I didn't know. The whole idea of identifying people by what they are wearing or who they are is something that we as a society have been conditioned to avoid, but somehow, identifying, nicknaming, and possibly judging people on appearance is acceptable, no, encouraged during Halloween festivities. Perhaps judging a book by it's cover isn't such a bad thing. Of course one must dig deep enough to observe actions and base judgements off of those actions. Though, I often find that my observation of actions more often than not actually supports my theories based on looks.

Interesting to think about when dressing for everyday life. People are only human; they're probably judging your character and personality based on what you look like or what you are wearing. If you dress to impress often, then people will be more likely to judge you in a positive manner. Maybe your identity will be, "good-lookin,'" or maybe, "girl who dresses really cute all the time." So remember, what you wear affects who you are, whether you are ready for that or not.

1 comment:

  1. I was Batgirl. I like wearing a costume, it gives people the chance to step out of their norm and become someone else if just for one night. I allowed myself to wear extremely exaggerated make-up, wore leather high heeled boots and rocked it. I enjoyed seeing everyone else costumes and exaggerated clothes and make-up as well.

    Halloween allows for a new world, a world I desperately did not want to give up either on this wrecked Monday. But Halloween will come again; in oh I'd say about 365 days.

    ReplyDelete