Monday, October 26, 2009

Focusing on the Goal

As I was reading chapter 10 in The New Rules of Marketing and PR by David Meerman Scott, I quickly came across the soccer comparison. Scott stresses the importance of remembering an organizations true goals, rather than the "to-do list" of smaller goals. For example, Scott reminds us that "leads," "clips" and "T-Shirts" will not be found in a company's mission statement. In this gentle reminder to focus on real goals, Scott uses young children playing soccer as an example.

I have a 6-year-old brother who plays soccer, so I got a laugh out of the comparison. Young kids playing soccer is very entertaining, sometimes in a painful way. Parents and coaches really do shout out instructions like, "Go to the goal!" Kids really still focus on the ball, too.

With this cute little comparison and my previous experience watching little ones play soccer, I think that keeping my focus on the goal rather than the ball will be just a bit easier. Listen up, PR and marketing people, and focus on the goal, not the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment