Monday, October 19, 2009

Weekend Away From ONU

Being back at ONU with week 7 in full swing, I have been telling many of my friends about my awesome weekend. This weekend I went home for the first time since I arrived on campus (7 weeks, considering that I came back early). For me, not being home in this long stretch of time is a record. I am quite the homebody, and my family is probably my most favorite thing in the world. When Friday came around, I was surprised when I didn't really feel like making the drive to my first stop, Kent State University. I had already made my plans though, so of course I was going; my Kent-Staters were excitedly waiting to see me.

Of course I wanted to see everyone from home who I love, I just didn't really want to make the 3 hour drive in the disgusting weather. Once I got to Kent, which is always an adventure because the buildings there all look the same to me, I Then Jimmy and I went to my friend Sami's room, because she is an RA and was on duty. At Kent, when an RA is on duty, they are not to leave their building, at ONU, residents are lucky to find said RA, just saying. Anyway, after picking up some Taco Bell, because no trip to Kent is complete without a TBell run, Jimmy and I went to Sami's room. We all caught up with each other and acted silly while we ate. Since Sami was on duty, we had to go on rounds with her. Rounds at Kent are intense if for no other reason than Sami's building, for example, has 8 floors. The most we have here are 3. Kent keeps me in check when it comes to how small and protected ONU really is. The next morning, I ate breakfast with Jimmy and Sami, packed up, and headed home.

I went to my mom's house, because we (mom, dad, and I) have an understanding that my mom misses me like crazy when I am gone, and she needs to see me as soon as I arrive. I said hello, hugged everyone, spent some time talking to mom, and headed to my dad's house for home made chili. My dad's chili is the BEST.

I spent a good 4 hours at my dads house, sitting by the fireplace and catching up. I then headed back to my moms where we had game night. Game night gets pretty intense around my house. All of my brothers and sisters were there (5 of them) as well as my aunt, uncle, and their 4 kids, plus 4 of friends. We had so much fun.

Sunday, I watched the Steelers beat the Browns (like we didn't see that one coming) and then headed to watch the kids play soccer. My 2 sisters and my youngest brother were playing. While all of the games were extremely entertaining, my favorite was Christopher's (he's 6). Watching kids in Kindergarten play soccer is one of the funniest experiences one could have. The field and the soccer ball are miniature, and the quarters are only 5 minutes long. Watching Christopher was especially hilarious; he is the kid that is doing everything but playing soccer. The ball could be right in front of him, and we felt lucky if he even noticed. I loved that if he did kick the ball, my family and I acted like he had made a goal. We were obnoxious, and every time we yelled his name, he looked to the sidelines and threw his hands in the air, saying, "WHAT?!?" Oh, man, do I love that kid.

My weekend ended with dinner at mom's house and hugs for everyone. I didn't get back to ONU until 11:30 at night, but I didn't care, I had an absolutely fantastic weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment